St Thomas History & Architecture

St Thomas, South Wigston : History and Architecture

The parish of St Thomas the Apostle Glen Parva with South Wigston was created in 1893 from parts of the parishes of Wigston Magna and Aylestone. Most of Glen Parva was transferred to the Parish of Blaby in 1962 and new estates brought into this Parish from St Christopher’s, Leicester.

The Parish was re-named St Thomas the Apostle, South Wigston when the new Wigston benefice was created in June 2014.   

St. Thomas’ was built in 1893 by Stockdale Harrison, with the tower added in 1901. It was formerly the garrison church for the Royal Leicestershire Regiment which had its barracks in Glen Parva. There is no graveyard but there is a small, well-maintained garden. The interior is very open and allows for flexible styles of worship. The organ, by Taylors has been substantially enlarged. Details can be found on the NPOR website. The ring of 8 bells were added in the early 20th century. Details can be found on the Dove website.